Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It Feels Like...

Our family has always done birthdays big.  Not like tons of presents or extravagant parties that would be featured on some reality TV show...but we love to celebrate each other!  And I'm a party planner by trade and creative thanks to God so it's always a bit more involved than it has to be...and my husband tolerates...no embraces! my craziness. 

The day started out like every other...E in the bed with us at 7am, trying to sleep in spite of his rolling and tumbling, starting to give up when it got to be...oh wait, is that the phone ringing??  Yep, I rush out of bed at 9am because our dear friend is calling and I need to meet her to deliver some papers.  I actually thanked God for her as I went to shower because I needed to get up...and that was my incentive.  Get going Shelley!

We made arrangements to meet by the Opera House and I ran to get a shower.  As most of you know by now, today was J's birthday.  And as you may or may not know about us is that we have this tradition.  You get the number of gifts that you are old...so he was in line for 15!  Now, don't go crazy on me...they aren't big gifts.  There might be one or two that are "fun" but they aren't a big deal.  However I was up til 3am last night because I write these cute little poems to go with them and leave little numbers all over the house...the kids have to find them.  So, before I left I had to get a couple set up and leave instructions on where the next few were in case he found them too quickly.

Before coffee, before granola bars...Zach and I headed out for the short walk to the Opera House.  It was a nice walk...beautiful morning!  We got there in time to see the posting of the guards at Freedom Monument...did the quick exchange with our friend and headed back.  It was some great one on one time with my firstborn.  Love that kid!! 

I know I've mentioned this before but there is something so refined, so cultural, about Europe. Today's observation was a cute little girl riding on her Daddy's shoulders dressed to the nines.  Purple leggings, purple cordoroy skirt, light colored jacket, blond hair in pigtails and a proper little kerchief tied over her head.  Adorable!

When we got back, I got my coffee, yogurt and granola and settled in to start looking through my tour books (you know my nickname is Tour Guide Barbie).  The girls were giving J an introductory lesson on how this birthday deal works and he was loving it.  We also realized there are seven of us and we have seven days left here...so we decided to give everyone a day to plan...and today was J's. 

He said he didn't know what to do, so could we just go grocery shopping and hang out here.  We thought, well maybe he doesn't know what to suggest...so let's just get out and walk around.  So off we went...heading toward Old Town again and let's see what we find.  We always walk straight into Old Town and for some reason stay to the left...so today we decided let's go right.

The girls wanted to feed the ducks so we took the bread we thought was wheat that turned out to be rye (not a fave in our family) and headed toward the Riga Channel that runs through town.  As we headed down we saw the boat landing with paddle boats we had been in search of two days before!  And everyone thought it was a good idea to see how much it costs.  The girls and E went to the channel's edge to feed the ducks and we sent the two big boys over to find out costs.  They called to say it was only two lats per boat...pretty economical in Riga.  We decided it was a good birthday idea!  And they were willing to let us have E ride with Gary and me.

We all piled in our boats and took off.  Sooooo much fun.  I'm not sure I've ever done paddle boats before and I'm certain our kids hadn't.  It really is cool the different perspective you have of the city from those little boats.  However, about 10 minutes into it you understand why they are booked in 20 minute increments...our thighs were screaming at us!  Ouch!  We paddled, had a bit of bumper boats, coasted, dodged a bigger boat! and all around just had a blast.  Funny, towards the end, the kids took to paddling (pedaling) with their hands because it hurt their legs! 

Once we climbed out, we started walking through the park...and the first thing we saw was an ice cream cart.  These things are all over Riga.  In the strangest of places...but really ALL over the city.  We relented and bought one of the cheapest on the list...again, a fun birthday thing to do.  And we kept walking.  There's this raised area in the park that looks like it could be a cool historical spot...but I haven't been able to figure it out yet...so we walked to the top of that. 

I think I mentioned yesterday that we had invited J's sister and brother and nephew to dinner for his birthday.  I think it was something he was so excited about but didn't want to be a bother...but meekly he added two more to the guest list and we were happy he wanted to share this day - and us - with more people here.  The one friend was coming at 3pm to meet us in Riga and we met up at Cili Pica and continued our walking.  As usual we headed into Old Town and had our history lesson for the day. 

The Powder Tower (circa 1647) is situated right at the edge and has cannonballs stuck in the side of it said to have been launched there by Peter the Great himself (I think...I don't have my tour book here with me ;-))  And inside this tower is the Latvian War Museum going all the way from the 1200's to present day.  Very cool.  We spent quite a while in there as it was a total of four or five floors of museums.  The area that struck me the most was the section about 1991 and their fight for independence.  As I stood there looking at the photos of the resistance, I thought about what I was doing in 1991.  I was one year out of high school and one year into college.  I was worried about what I was wearing to Emerald Ball, how I was doing in class and when I was going to see my boyfriend again.  These people were fighting, life was hard...and the economy and the wonderful resilient people are still rebuilding from this. 

Don't get me wrong, I think some - maybe even most - here are just fine...really fine.  They have wonderful lives..."normal" lives.  And honestly many of those are the wonderful people who are helping those of us who have children here.  But for those on whom it hasn't been as easy, I think there is still a sense of extreme hardship.  Whether it is financial, addiction or just having been dealt a hard luck hand...the hold just isn't as easy to climb out of.  All of that just hit me as I looked at those pictures from 1991.  And I thought of J's mom...in 1991 she had two kids already and she would have two more...and what was she doing in 1991. 

So after our long visit there, we headed back just as a rain set in.  J said every year it rains on his birthday!  We rested for just a second and then headed to the grocery.  He had to  pick out his cake!  I had a pretty long list and we walked around the store gathering all our things.  Latvia's most challenging thing for me is the size of the items you can buy.  For example, one cannot buy a gallon of milk here...it's all quarts.  So for a family of seven this can get very expensive!  Cereal comes packaged in these little bags that would take care of my boys one morning!  Eggs come in a 10 pack, not a dozen.  You get the picture. 

We headed over to the pastry counter to look at cakes.  They are works of art...really gorgeous!  With the number we have coming we decide we better get two.  J doesn't know what to pick...so we talk him through it.  Do you like berry, or just chocolate?  We decide on one that is mostly chocolate and one that is kind of a cheesecake with cherries on top.  They both look amazing.  Again, my high culture or maybe it's old fashioned observation is that they put it in this pretty box and place a lid on it and then tie it up with these strong ties - but pretty - so you can carry it old fashioned style just from the little ties.  Yes, I took pics.

We check out and head back and we're all starving because we didn't really eat lunch.  After a quick snack of fresh baguettes, salami, mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumber and the like Gary and I start cooking.  Peeling potatoes, putting the macaroni I brought from home on to boil (mac and cheese velveeta style is on the menu) and opening up the sugar peas I bought.  J wanted the potatoes fried so that's what we did. 

About 10 minutes in he said his sister and nephew had arrived and would be at Freedom Monument soon.  I kept cooking while he and Gary went to meet them.  While they were gone the power turned off three times!  Apparently you can't run more than one unit at a time on the stove without tripping the breaker! 

I'm not sure I've fully described our kitchen situation.  We have a kitchen up front with refrigerator and great countertops...but no sink or stovetop.  The kitchen in the back is about the size of a hallway (smaller really) and has the cooktop, sink...but no fridge...hmmmm.  Tough when you get like five people in there some making tea, some slicing potatoes, some washing up dishes...a leetle tight!

I realize at this point I should have done all the potatoes first because they take the longest.  But the noodles are already on for the mac and cheese so I'm committed.  I finish these up and Gary returns with J, sister and nephew and now E is in heaven!  He has a playmate!  We keep cooking (having a small frying pan doesn't help either) and just getting such joy from how happy J is.  He keeps coming back to check on us...are we ok?  do we need anything?  Thanks for doing all this. 

As potatoes get ready, we offer for those who are here to go ahead and eat...but we find out that his brother and his best friend are coming soon, so can we wait?  And the answer is of course we can. They arrive in perfect time and J and his sister walk to meet them.  When I meet them all, I just can't help but hug them all.  These are the people who love J...who have helped shape him into the boy he is. 

Marleigh has been busy entertaining J's friend who came early, Mae has been almost obsessively cleaning the apartment and setting up the buffet (I think she's gonna be like her mamma!) and Zach has been resetting the breaker box, slicing potatoes and helping tidy up.  We get everything set up finally and everyone is here and gathered.  The buffet is Rotisserie chicken from Rimi, Velveeta Shells and Cheese, Sugar Peas, Fried Potatoes and beautiful cakes!

We all gathered in the den for prayer before dinner and then the buffet was open!  They were somewhat shy at first...but it really is amazing what the language of love and acceptance can do to bridge the gap.  We got everyone fed and had to hurry a bit through blowing out the candles and cutting cake because J's friend had to head back to school.  While everyone was eating dinner, J's grandfather called.  He wanted to wish him a happy birthday.  We so wish he and his other brother could have come but they were both sick.  J translated what he wanted to say to us - thanking us for taking care of J, he wishes us only the best in life and please keep doing what we are doing with our good hearts.  Wow...I love this man and have never met him.  I cannot imagine how hard this must be for all of them.  We've asked J to be sure this is what he really wants...and he tells us he wants a family who can care for him AND loves him...and this is what his family here wants for him too.  We tell J he needs to go visit before we leave...we have to make the most of every day we have.  God is SOOOO AMAZING!

He had such a good time and we were so glad to be able to do this with and for him.  We snapped a quick photo of everyone at his party and then he and his sister walked his friend to the train station.

We tidied up a bit and then just visited with our guests until they too had to go to the train station.  I went in to check with Gary about who would walk them back and he was exhausted.  Here's where the title for tonight comes in ;-)  We are beat...our backs hurt, our feet hurt, we're just plain tired.  And here's the fun realization...we feel EXACTLY like we do after we host a birthday party for one of our kids HAHAHA (that's me laughing with joy) because ladies and gents, we just did.  His very first that was all his...and it was wonderful!

And the other realization I have is how truly blessed J is.  He has two brothers, a sister and a grandfather that love him and want what's best for him.  And now he has us who love him as one of our own...poor kid, he's a Belk (soon).  And sweet E...I realize just how blessed we are.  No one's asking to say goodbye to him...but again, he's already said goodbye.  His last name might not be Belk yet, but he's a Belk through and through.

At Circle Time, J shared with us what a good time everyone had.  We complimented him (Zach's observation) on what a good host he was.  He worked the room visiting with everyone to make sure no one felt left out.  I remember when he made his plate for dinner, he said "Mom, there's so much food.  It reminds me of America." This made me happy and sad at the same time.  He also shared with us that his friend felt we were too "good" for him to mingle with us.  He was too "bad."  Made me so happy that I'd given him a hug...praying that showed him we love everyone just like Jesus does. 

Then he said it was the best birthday he'd ever had...and he was ready - so ready! - to go home.

Want to know what J's 15 presents were:
1  underwear
2  socks
3  a card from his brothers and sisters
4  three toy skateboards
5  deodorant
6 a calendar
7 hair gel
8 basketball shorts
9 undershirts
10 a tee shirt from annapolis
11 cologne
12 a card from me and Daddy
13 two snicker bars
14 a sketchpad with a drum set on the front and a paper jamz guitar from burger king
and 15?  oh yeah...
15...a plane ticket home

No comments:

Post a Comment