Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life!

What a great day!  Thanks everyone for your prayers!

We got up early...well earlier than the past few days ;-)  I was up earlier...just felt the need to be up and reading.  My brain has been full of the things that have to be worked out.  Some of the concerns I shared briefly yesterday...just feeling in a funk.  And then the "stuff" that still has to be worked out of traveling, extended time here, finances (always) and then when we get home of schooling, the next step in the process...you get the picture.  Don't get me wrong, I think I've been clear in all of these writings that we have seen time and again how He works things out.  But I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. 

My chronological Bible took me to John 6.  And as I read it was the part about the loaves and fishes:  John 6:5-6
      When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?  He asked this ONLY TO TEST HIM, FOR HE ALREADY HAD IN MIND WHAT HE WAS GOING TO DO.

And, don't you know it!  He already has in mind what He's going to do for us too.  Again, I am humbled that He takes the time to care about what is going on in my little family...in ALL our families. 

We woke the rest of the crew and began getting ready for the day.  Have I mentioned how glad I am that I packed all of the food I did?  We're still spending a fair amount on food but we've been able to stay within budget so far! 

We had a nice talk with J...I love these talks as we build our family.  And it reminds me how we need to trust Him with everything, everyday.  He is always faithful to work out our concerns. 

We made arrangements for J's friend to come at 6pm and the rest of us struck out to begin our own exploring of Old Riga.  FUN!  We hit the open air market...or rather the little vendor stands...shopping a little, looking a lot.  Continued on to Town Hall Square and took pictures at the statue of Roland (since we have two!) and the House of Blackheads.  Our main goal of the day was to visit Big Kristaps, who according to the tour book was located in Albert Square.  He (legend has it) is the Giant whose money began the city of Riga.  Everyone we asked said go to the river and turn right. 

I couldn't see it right off, so we kept circling back, certain that we needed to stay in the cobblestoned area.  We found ourselves back at the market square and this woman painted head to toe in gold.  J didn't believe me that she was real and he approached her.  You should have seen his face when she blinked her eyes!  Hilarious!  We got pictures with E with her (he was scared at first but liked her little gold bird) and then with E and finally with M&M. 

We kept walking and finally made it to a part of the Daugava River where we could see the encasement Big Kristaps now stands in.  We went down, took pictures and then decided it was time for lunch....well dinner too.  We've been trying to eat one bigger meal a day and then have smaller "apartment" meals for the other two.  And with so much to choose from, we've decided not to eat at the same place twice.  That does make it fun!  The kids just had to choose McDonald's today...they were just not convinced it would be the same. And it was!  Aside from very little ice in the drinks and having to pay for ketchup, everything else was really the same. 

E was hilarious chasing birds (pigeons) and wanting to be just like the big kids.  Don't try to hold his hand!  He makes us nervous though running on the very edge of the sidewalk, so we've taken to forcing him to hold our hands or just holding on to his wrist...which he really hates.  You know that just isn't cool! ;-)  By the end of our trek he was getting piggy back rides from several (mostly Daddy)...funny again because when he first came to us, that terrified him!  It is unbelieveable to see how he has grown and changed.  And so much fun to be on a front row seat.

I commented to Gary at one point that I was just so very happy.  It is so fun to look at the five kids meandering along in front of us and know...THEY'RE OURS!  As we went about on Friday, it dawned on me, we have to get skilled at navigating seven people and keeping us together and accounted for.  I can't wait for the practice! 

We walked back through part of the botanical gardens of Riga and arrived just in time to rest a minute before the guys went to the train station to meet J's friend.  I happily put my feet up and rested...such a quick but effective nap!  The boys returned and J's friend had made me a birthday present...a beautiful brooch!  Truly a Latvian souvenir!

We spent the evening working puzzles, playing UNO and just visiting.  Really a wonderful night. 

So the news report is that all is worked out, everything is resolved and it's smooth sailing from here.  NOT!  I know you guys who read this aren't that naive ;-)  BUT, the news report is that I do know who the Captain of the ship is...and He's got it all under control.

Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment