Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I Love My Life

I just got home from work...it's 10:15pm.  Well, not really...I've been home long enough to change clothes and put a load of laundry in.  But I just had to stop a minute and do a post.  Because I love my life!

It's been a very long day...again!  It's always rough the week before a vacation but when you're going to be away for 26 days, it's budget season, you have two large events while you are gone that you're entrusting to another team member, your assistant just got promoted and her last day is Friday (and she just got married so her first day back was today!) and two team members are on vacation...it's a little rough.  Did I mention it'd been a long day? 

But the beautiful thing is that it all got done!  No, I'm not off tomorrow and yes, there's plenty to still fill my day tomorrow.  But piece by piece, it's all getting done.  All that I just mentioned and listed isn't the reason I love my life.  Now, let me be clear that I do love my job.  I am one of those people who have been blessed by having a career that I do love.  I love the people, I love events, I love that my family loves what I do...but I also am very aware that we have careers...jobs...in order to have lives.  And I have been really blessed by a career that provides for our family by a company that has been very good to us AS a family.  (again, a longer story for another time...but Hyatt Rocks!)

But what I LOVE...and I mean really LOVE...is that after my 38 mile commute and a nice chat with my mom on the drive and some really great praying time, I pull into the driveway and all is very quiet.  Physically exhausted, I trudge up the back deck steps and suddenly the house erupts into a cacophony of "Mama! Mama!! Zachturn Mama!!!"  E has spotted me ;-)

He quickly runs from Marleigh to Zach to Gary telling everyone I'm home.  He shows me dinner leftovers on the stove for me "Mama! Eat, Eat!"  He shows me the dishwasher where he put his own dishes in after dinner "Look, Gooooood (he's famous for that with the pursed lips and thumbs up). 

Then, this boy who just a few months ago was so needy and so wanting to be babied, he tells me "Mash it" (we've corrupted Latvian mazgat (wash)) and he's telling me he needs a bath.  Zach volunteers to give him his bath tonight and E is thrilled as his big brother picks him up over his shoulder...E laughing and mildly scolding "Zachturn!"

Then on to my sweet girls who are worn out!  Why?  Because they've decided they need to get the barn in order and have been diligently cleaning stalls for two days now. 

All I'm missing is J...and I think for a minute how it will be when he's home too.  Will he talk about basketball or the new chords he learned on the guitar today?  Or will my older boys just laugh and run down to play Xbox?  No matter...I can't wait for it...and I pray expectantly for it ;-)

All this energizes me - reminds me why I sometimes - not often - work 14 hour days.  I get a wonderful hug from my wonderful husband, go change my clothes, put a load of laundry in and hurry to the computer.  Because I want to write it down...share it...that I totally LOVE my life.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Shelley !! You truly have a way with words :)
    Marie

    ReplyDelete