Saturday, August 27, 2011

Irene, You were NOT invited on this trip!

With all of my planning, posting, preparation and overall whirlwind of getting ready for this trip...we're still sitting at home.  There's this little thing called Hurricane Irene that decided to butt into our flight.

To bring everyone up to speed:

We packed and packed all day yesterday, never turning on the TV or radio. "Stay focused kids!  We've got a lot to do and we leave in 24 hours!!"  I had the mother of all lists working and my little soldiers were getting it done (well, mostly anyway).  About 4pm our wonderful Adoption Agency called to wish us well and find out if we'd been re-routed. Re-routed?  Why?  The storm isn't coming til late Saturday...I've already shared how cool it is that God knew all along?  What in the world do you mean??  We quickly hung up and I called my Travel Agent...only to find out that yes, our 2:35pm flight from BWI was, in fact, cancelled already. 

But not to worry!  He would get us on another.  We ran out for last minute errands and to the library where we got the call.  Good news!  He could get us on an earlier flight but we'd have to leave out of National at 6am.  Ugh!  How much does the family love us that was taking us to the airport??  I was looking forward to finishing packing, getting in bed for a good night's sleep, etc. etc.  My plan of course, right?  Our ride confirmed they would take us and the mad dash was one.  My humaness couldn't resist chastising my husband a little saying "this is exactly what I DIDN'T want to be doing."  Rushing around at the last minute, if I'd had a little help...blah blah blah!

We finished our errands and arrived back home starving around 8pm.  Not much food in the house, well we ARE going on a big trip...who buys groceries before a trip?  As Wal-Mart pizzas cooked, we continued our packing...checking off the list and getting things done. 

Then Daddy called.

Did you know the airports in NYC are closing at 12pm tomorrow?  Well, no, of course not.  I'm packing!  I quickly hung up and called the airline and while I'm on hold our wonderful Travel Agent calls.  Did you know the airports are closing in NYC tomorrow?  Well, yes, I do now!  He started working on flights for us and at 1am sent an itinerary that may work.  It gets us in when we need to get in but as of right now we don't know at what cost...financially. 

You see, there are a couple of things at play here.  Our court date is August 30 at 10am...we need to make that date!  E's visa that he's on right now expires August 31.  So, we can't miss that date either.  Amazingly, I haven't cried, I haven't stressed...other than the inconvenience of being stuck on the phone for a long time figuring it out, I am ok. 

This journey already has taught us so much about God's timing...He isn't going to change for us.  We are to change for Him.  I'm looking at all the positives:  laundry got finished, everyone got new shoes for school (and I got a really cute pair of camouflage sneakers for $4!), I was able to download all of our videos so we can have a camcorder on the trip, I've been able to check and double check our lists and pack extra gifts for the orphanage children...the list goes on. 

Gary wasn't ready either...he hates to fly...and he needed the extra time to not feel like we were rushing from a day at work to jumping on a plane. 

So while I don't get my day in New York City (sigh), I do get time to breathe and thank Him for lining it up just right.  Because whenever we are supposed to be on a plane, we'll be on a plane ;-)

I hear tempers getting a little tense upstairs...gotta run calm them.  I've not always been a very good Job through all of this...now it's my turn to show what I've learned.  And as always, prayers appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment