Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Now This is Interesting

Since we are in Latvia, Google, who powers my blog, is recognizing we are in Latvia.  So my Dashboard, profile, all of it, are showing up in Latvian!  How funny!  As long as it doesn't translate automatically or something, I think we'll be ok ;-)

There is SO much to share from our travels and how God has smiled on us so wonderfully over the past 48 hours.  Oh yes, we've had trials and issues...but EVERYTHING has worked out beautifully and Gary and I actually said tonight, it was an EASY travel to get here.

I'm just going to jump right in and if I get too tired I'll just have to pick up tomorrow.  We are tired...so very very tired.  And our concerns over tomorrow are getting to us all...moreso to me, Gary and Zach especially.  M&M and E are, as always, just happy to be here.  That's an inside joke with some of my family but if you know them, you understand it.  They make fun, laughter and joy anywhere they go...all three of them.

But let's go back to this morning...wait, Tuesday morning.  Since I literally have not slept since I got up Tuesday morning at 6:30am (well maybe a couple of cat naps here and there) it feels like this is all one REALLY long day.  We were up on time, a little nervous.  Finished our packing, ate some breakfast, took care of all of the last minute details and our wonderful friend Chris Diehl was there promptly at 8am to pick us up.  The luggage was a bit overwhelming but we took one suitcase per person (6!) plus one carry on per person (6!) plus 6! people!  We loaded up, snapped a quick picture and away we went. 

Now, we didn't think we needed to be at the airport quite so early...but God did.  Before leaving Chris prayed with us which helped calm all of us and then we hit the road.  And then we hit traffic!  We got to the airport a little after 9am and there was NO LINE!  We went straight to check in thinking we had PLENTY of time.  Hehe...there were issues with our ticketing!  Apparently there was a challenge with transferring the tickets the number of times we had to do so because of Irene and the uncertainty of our travel.  The agent tried everything she could to fix it but said she could not on her end.  We needed to call our travel agent. 

Don't panic, step to the side, sit down.  Start calling.  I called home, work and cell and no answers...for 20 minutes.  Then out of desperation, I called a client that knows my agent very well.  I am so grateful that idea popped into my head because she reminded me that my agent was having surgery this morning.  He wouldn't be out before 12noon at the best...our flight was to leave at 12:10pm.  I put on my sweetest smile and attitude and walked up to the ticketing agent.  I told her our situation and I told her there was no one else to help us, could she please. 

Precious Mary Mannon made it happen!  It took her about 45 minutes but she worked her magic, found our tickets, transferred them over AND gave us seat assignments that kept us together and let the kids have window seats for their first ever flights. 

We took a photo with her...I'll post tomorrow as I am too tired to figure out my USB cable and my laptop
;-)  Suffice it to say when we were all finished I asked if I could hug her, told her she was certainly an angel sent to calm us.  Through our conversation I did determine she was in fact a believer and I am so grateful for her.  The other agents were a bit short-tempered and not so much into helping...she on the other hand was happy for the diversion of needing to use her brain and her skills. 

We headed to security and went through it quickly.  E was a pro...pulling out the bin, shucking off his shoes.  The others did a fine job as well.  We agreed we would head on to the gate and get settled in before looking for bathrooms or snacks.  I have determined that if you have to connect three times, it is easier to make the first connection domestically.  Security is much easier...when we traveled in March, we had to fly straight to Paris and go through security a second time which was pretty stressful.  At the gate, we called and texted our goodbyes with promises to call again in Chicago.

Flight was early, and fun.  Mae was full of questions, "how does this work, what does this do, how do we know what's free and what we have to pay for?"  So much so that by the time we boarded for Helsinki, she knew everything and happily educated her brother and sister on how to work all the controls.  We got to Chicago about 20 minutes early, found our connecting gate.  Lunch at McDonald's, bathroom break and last cup of Starbucks for 2 weeks...and one more call to my BFF (my mama!)...and we were off to Helsinki.

Overall the flight was great.  Attendants were a little testy and E was bouncing off the walls again...but NOTHING like March.  When we said go to sleep, he tried to comply.  There's just too much stimulation on those planes!  Here's where we passed from Tuesday to Wednesday and really, I didn't sleep at all on the plane.  Exhaustion started to set in...but gratefully everyone else did end up sleeping at least for an your or two each.

The big 3 did great though and the only rough part really is that we were about 10 minutes late arriving to Finland.  Our flight from Helsinki to Riga was supposed to leave at 9:30am and we were scheduled to land at 8:40am. YIKES! 

We hit the ground running in Finland and I was stressing for us to make it from gate 30-something to 20a.  We had to have our passports checked and they had to ask us several questions about E.  How long are you staying, where are you staying, why do you have him?  I just wanted to shout, "Hey, we're headed BACK to Riga...and if you ask much more we're going to be stuck here in Finland!"  But I didn't...thanked him and drill sergeant style told my entourage to step it up, we were going to miss our connector.  E didn't want to hold anyone's hand but rather, from fatigue, wanted to amble...stagger really...through all the business travelers causing really lovely kind looks all over the airport HAHA (now I can laugh about it).  At the time I took him by the wrist (thanks Trish!) and guided him jog style to our gate.  Now please remember our plane was to LEAVE...not BOARD...at 9:35am..  We arrived at the gate at 9:20am. 

The agent was so kind...she said in her wonderful accent..."Why rush?  We are not!"  I was fully expecting a mutiny from my party as to why I made them run through the airport, grumble through a needed bathroom break and guzzling water we bought in Chicago because I thought we were going through security once again.  But I didn't...nothing but sweet smiles because they were glad to be on the last leg of the journey.

As you who have been reading this know, I sometimes wax philosophical at times...and here is my regression ;-)  First of all, I want to tell you how many times today I have reflected on how incredibly blessed we are to be able to do this trip.  Back when J was first decided we talked about how fun it would be for Zach to come with us on this trip...then that grew to everyone.  And we prayed and prayed for us to do the right thing financially and that all would be provided for us to be able to.  And while we aren't doing this entirely debt free, He has provided the resources to be able to.  This experience with ALL of our children is wonderful. 

I take for granted they know where to go and what to do...and it dawns on me that they don't even know how seats are numbered or lettered on the plane.  I hear a chorus every time we board of "where do I sit mom?"  And I LOVE it!  This is something they will tell their kids about.  Some of you may be blessed in ways where international travel is no big deal...but I can tell you I don't have that memory with my parents.  And I think it is just something you just can't replace.

Second, is that Karen Kingsbury wrote this great little book called "Just Beyond the Clouds."  I liked that book and sentiment so much as the fact that if you go high enough, past the storms, there's beautiful clouds and sunshine up above.  I had just shared this with the kids as we were boarding the plane (had to take a shuttle bus to the tarmac for the commuter jet we were on and the rain was coming down hard!) and as we taxied away and prepared to take off, I told them it would be cool if we did that today.  The flight was only 45 minutes so I thought he may not go that high...but sure enough he did.  Straight up through the gray, gloomy day of rain up to where there's sunshine and fluffy clouds.  And yes, that is what life is like.  If we just weather the storm and set our sights on things above, there is sunshine and fluffy clouds and nothing bad or gray.

So, back to our journey...

We landed in Riga on time and here's where my heart started to hurt.  I love this place.  It is where our sons are from.  I love the people, the language, the food...I don't know why really.  It isn't exceptionally beautiful and the food's a little odd.  I just have an affection for it that makes me miss it...and when we landed I was reminded the last time we came here, J and his orphan director and our translator that has become my dear dear friend (already my sister) were all waiting for us. 

My two biggest worries as we traveled were that all our luggage (did I mention we were traveling with 6!) would make it and that we would figure out transportation to our apartment.  (did I mention we had 6!...in Eastern Europe??  Where big vehicles are not common??)

We got to baggage claim and I went to exchange a little money to pay for the cab fare and Gary went in search of our bags.  Kids headed to restrooms and watching our carryons. 

ALL our bags made it...every single one.  We went through customs and I nearly cried as we exited because THAT is where J had been but keeping it together and the task at hand headed straight out to the cabs.  There were two mini vans so I approached and asked "English, Please?"  He said "ya, of course!"  LOVE the accent!!  I asked how we get one of those and he said reservation only...talk to the desk inside.  I went in and she only had two smaller cars...that's ok!  Paid our flat rate of 10 lats per car and went out to claim our cars. 

The drivers both spoke English too and knew exactly where we were headed.  On the drive, you guys know me...I strike up a conversation.  His name is Jurgis and he'd love to be our cab driver while we are here.  I have his cell number ;-)  He's suggested the Latvian National Art Museum, Old Town and many other excursions.  I loved recognizing things and pointing them out to the girls.  Spice Mall, US Embassy, Freedom Monument, President's Home (really where he works), the ferries, Dagauva River.  Did I mention how much I really love this place? 

Chris and Jen had loaned us their Latvian cell phone, so I was able to call our dear friend who confirmed the owner of the apartment was on her way to meet us.  We waited about 10 minutes and there she was.  Another beautiful Latvian (inside and out) to sweetly show us the apartment (it's great!) and also walk us to where we can exchange money to pay her as well as take care of what we need for court.  I asked her where the closest grocery was and she said 7 story mall, turn left here.  It is literally one street over from our apartment!  We got her settled and decided to just veg for a while.  We couldn't figure out what time it was...HAHA...still not sure.  My computer says 2:18pm...so assuming it is around 9 or so? 

We did determine it was about lunchtime so the kids made Ramen noodles, some of us took naps, some took showers.  I am SO glad I went to the trouble for all this food!  If we manage this just right, and we've all committed to it, then this will really be workable for us to not go broke.  Food is not cheap here. 

I blew a circuit drying my hair and had to get in touch with the owner (again grateful for the cell phone Jen!) who very kindly walked us through how to get it back on...so fun.  She said to use the metal stairs to flip one big switch up high...it took a few minutes to realize she meant ladder!  Here I was thinking we were headed in a secret staircase to Narnia or something.  Speaking of that, our apartment is really cool...odd doors and closets in the strangest places.  And two kitchens.

And the most magnificent huge jacuzzi tub that fills up WITHOUT running out of hot water.  The water is hot, so wonderfully hot!  I took a lovely tub bath and am certain I will do this daily as my treat to myself.

Once we got the power up and running again, we decided to head out for dinner and shopping.  We are all so tired we knew it needed to be just those two things or we'd never make it.  So we headed to our 7 story mall (Galleria Riga) and looked for food first.  The 7th floor has really great restaurants...an Oyster Bar, Italian, etc.  We found a restaurant called Harry Morgan that looked a little more family friendly and boy did we hit the jackpot.  GREAT food...and reasonable.  We had:  Tomato and Mozzarella Wrap, three Harry Swiss Burgers (no jokes here Unka Waba), potato latkes, hummus and Israeli Salad, spicy Chicken Wrap and chips (fries).  It was SO good and we had leftovers to bring home. 

We headed out after to go to the grocery but Zach suggested we go up to the rooftop terrace...so we did.  And it was amazing views of Riga.  Old and new all mixed in together...again, photos tomorrow.  We walked around there for a while and E started to really melt down.  So, Gary and Zach headed back with E to the apartment while me and the girls went to the grocery. 

We only spent 30lats and got a LOT of stuff!  Water, soda, bananas, bilberries (blueberries), piens (milk), apple juice, orange juice, tomatoes, wheat bread, white bread, creamer, paper towels, coffee, coffee filters, sugar, eggs, butter, I think that was about it.  And this Rimi has some very nice looking fresh cooked rotisseri chicken...I'm thinking dinner with some mashed potatoes and sugar peas or green beans.  Yes, I found all this in the store!

One other thing I am struck by is how America and English permeates this city and many of the areas we've traveled through.  It also makes me feel rotten that we have such confidence that someone will be able to speak our language when we travel abroad but yet many of us are intolerant of those who don't speak English in our country.  The cab driver, the server at Harry Morgan, the pastry chef at Rimi...all happily spoke English to help me (us) wherever we went.  1.  We need to learn another language and 2.  We need to be more patient and kind!  There was american music on the radio in the cab and american music in the store...and I'm currently watching something on FoxCrime right now in English...it's the only thing I can understand...but do we have any Russian or Latvian channels in America?  Anyway, not really a soapbox so no need to chastise me...just an observation.

So back to the apartment and I desperately need a nap.  I try, oh I try, and my sweet daughters unpack all our food and suitcases.  Put all our clothes away, stack suitcases and organize the kitchens and the gifts we have brought.  My sweet E is bouncing all over the apartment, dancing, singing, "Maamaaaaa! Goooood!" etc etc.  I finally give up.  Grumpy, tired...wanting to cry...and I do a little. 

It is starting to sink in that tomorrow all our questions will be answered.  We go to court at 1pm and have to meet Daina at Cilli Pica at 12pm.  (I know where this is and I LOVE that!)  After that we go to Spriditis and we meet with J.  And after that we will know. 

We are concerned, we are worried even...but we are still trusting.  Zach is having probably the hardest time. 

E finally gives up and out of the blue brushes his teeth (it is around 7) and says night night!  Olo!  He's gone back to that on occasion.  Then he goes to put himself in the bed.  After struggling with him all afternoon to be a little quieter so everyone can nap that wants to, we decide we should go dance around his bed and give him a taste...he loves it.  Laughing as we all give him hugs and tuck him in. 

Zach has fallen asleep in his room so we head in there next and there we give it all to God.  He has brought us to Latvia, He knows the desires of our hearts...and He will decide what is best for our family.  We truly have no idea what the outcome of tomorrow will be.  We only know that E for sure is coming home and we pray that J is too.

So much has already been worked out though...we'll be calling Jurgis tomorrow for a ride, our travels speak for themselves and court for E was rescheduled without issues.  I am confident God will work out this last part too. 

Eyes are burning from being up way too long...a few critical reminders please:
That we get up on time and all are ready with our certain to be jet lagged bodies.
All of our paperwork is in order and no issues when we get to court.
J to be receptive and at the very least agree to come spend some time with us while we are here.
J to come home!
1pm court, 12pm meet Daina, probably 3 or so for J meeting

I think that's it...I promise photos tomorrow!
Good night all!

1 comment:

  1. For being so exhausted, you sure did give a great update! Thank you! I'm so nervous for you but know that God will give you the peace you need, when you need it. I can't wait to read more tomorrow. AHHHHH! (that's me screaming in anticipation!) Love you guys!!!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete